I am constantly inspired by the amazing work of all the talented bloggers around the internet. Nearing the top of that list is Maangchi who’s YouTube channel has me giggling with excitement and glee each and every time I visit. Now, most of her recipes are not vegan (or even vegetarian) but they are Korean and fun. It has been my pleasure to start reviewing a lot of her work and seeing if there was a way to veganize it.
Lo and behold I have been successful beyond my wildest dreams! When Maangchi posted her “Fire chicken with cheese” recipe I was on that like white on rice! Any recipe that has the word “Fire” or “Fiery” in it wins my heart pretty much immediately.
I give 100% credit to Maangchi for the recipe, the inspiration and the passion she has brought to the culinary world and could not be happier to be riding her coattails and working on this project (and hopefully more to come!). A huge THANK YOU to Beyond Meat and Field Roast for being such awesome companies. In a world needing (and looking for) real change you guys are the driving force behind it. I salute all of you and am humbled to be able to share my little corner of the interwebz praising you and your hard work.
- 2 packages frozen Beyond Meat grilled meatless strips, thawed and cut into 1" pieces
- ½ cup hot pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp hot pepper paste (use less for less heat)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp neutral flavored oil (like canola, or vegetable), divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or agave
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 package Field Roast Chao cheese, cubed or shredded (optional)
- 2 cup of sliced rice cake
- 1 yellow onion, thick sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- Combine hot pepper flakes, hot pepper paste, soy sauce, 2 tbsp oil, black pepper, maple syrup, garlic, and ginger in a bowl. Mix it well into a sweet and spicy paste. Add the Beyond Meat and mix well by hand. Set aside.
- Heat up a non stick frying pan with the remaining 1 tbsp oil to medium. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes, then add rice cakes and pan fry for a few more minutes. Turn frequently until the rice cakes brown, being careful not to let the burn. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the marinated Beyond Meat into a cast iron skilled (or heavy bottomed pan if you must). Use the ¼ cup water to rinse the bowl and get the last of the sauce into the pan. Cover and cook over medium-high for 10 minutes. Add more water if needed to keep ingredients from sticking to your pan.
- Uncover, stir and turn over the mixture. Add the browned rice cakes on top. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes, covered. If you’re using cheese, pre-heat the oven broiler to high. After the 8 minutes, put the cheese over the top. Stick it in the oven for a few minutes (about 5) until the cheese is melted. Watch it careful so it doesn't burn.
- Remove and sprinkle with the chopped green onion. Serve hot.