I try to eat healthy most of the time. I don’t always follow through, but I do my best and recognize that I can’t always do right. So last night, when I asked Facebook what I should make for dinner and got “Soup. Today needs more soup. :)” as an answer I totally agreed.
I also like to make sure that Jason has dinner ready for him when he comes home when I can. With my new job I am at work much later than I used to be so I can’t plan our meals together like we used to do. For instance tonight I won’t get home until 8pm. Or perhaps even later. So yesterday, since I had the day off I made sure to have something on the table and ready for him when he pulled in.
I did a play on Olive Garden’s Zuppe Toscana. It’s difficult to veganize everything, but I had some fun working with TVP “sausage” crumbles and tried Whole Food’s unsweetened light coconut milk (which is excellent). This turned out exceptionally well and I’m excited to share the recipe. So please, if you try it let me know! Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone, and stay healthy, friends. :)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 russet potato, sliced
- 3 leaves fresh kale, chopped to bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cups unsweetened, light coconut milk
- 1/2 cups TVP
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 tbsp reduced sodium tamari
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/8 cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Stir boiling water with liquid smoke (if using), soy sauce, maple syrup, and molasses.
- Meanwhile, mix TVP with dry seasonings; stir to incorporate. Combine wet and dry mixtures. Then allow the TVP to absorb the moisture for about 5 minutes while you heat the oil.
- Fry mixture in oil in an uncovered frying pan on medium heat, about 5 minutes (or until browned), stirring occasionally.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes and boil until fork tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and add coconut milk, TVP sausage and kale and cook until heated through.